Pull out those UFOs and join us for the Choose Your UFO Quilt Along! (#UFOQAL2017).
You've got your quilt top pieced and you realize you need a quilt back...
How much fabric do you need?
Are you going to have to piece a back?
Here are some helpful links to get you started!
One of my go to quilting tools is the Robert Kaufman Quilting Calculator (get it free from your app store). I regularly use it to determine how much yardage I need for binding and backings.
Here are some screen caps I took from the app with The Goblin King/Labyrinth Quilt sizes plugged in plus the width of the fabric I wanted to use.
I quilt on a Grace quilting frame, so I need a little overage in order to have enough fabric.
- No SmartPhone or tablet? Quilter's Paradise has a Backing & Batting calculator!
- Want to try something different? How about a Diagonal Quilt Back?
- Want a little more? Check out How To Piece a Quilt Back from the Craftsy Blog for basic instructions on piecing a quilt back.
- Don't want to piece a back? There are some really great fabrics available in wider widths especially for quilt backs. Ask for them at your local quilt shop or find them at your favorite online retailer. Sizes can vary between 54" - 118"!
- Want a reversible quilt? Check out this free class from Craftsy on making Creative Quilt Backs.
- Want something more personal? Visit a local quilt shop. The employees there are experts in fabrics and they have some really cool tricks for helping you get just what you need. Be sure to take your quilt top along. They can also recommend a local long arm quilter if that's something you're interested in, which brings us to...
- Are you working with a long arm quilter to complete your quilt? Make sure you consult with them about quilt back size. They'll need a large piece of fabric than your finished quilt top to load it onto their machine.
Share photos of your #UFOQAL2017 with our flickr group for a chance to win one of our fabulous monthly prizes! You receive one entry for each project. Only photos posted to flickr are eligible to win.
Let's get finished!