Here's what you need to know to submit your work:
- Patterns must be your own original work.
- Patterns may not in any way incorporate existing patterns, be identical to, or alter another designer's work.
- Please search Fandom in Stitches and do a Google search to make sure your pattern idea hasn't already been designed by someone else. Similar subjects are okay, but if you feel your pattern is very close to someone else's work, please contact that designer before submitting your own design to Fandom in Stitches.
- Patterns must be fandom-related: movies, music, books, etc. If it doesn't fit in a fandom, it is not for this website.
- If you reference a piece of fan art, please have permission from the original artist to use their work and provide a link to them for our post.
- Patterns technique and style are designer's choice. Any style is acceptable as long as it can be used for a quilt and made by hand or basic sewing machine. Examples would be traditional piecing, applique, embroidery, paper piecing, cross-stitch, etc.
- We do not currently accept machine embroidery files.
- All FiS patterns are PG-13 or less. This makes our website accessible even when "safe search" is turned on.
- Patterns can be drafted using drawing or quilting software or hand drawn, as long as they are clean and easy to understand (see suggested resources below).
- For legal reasons, we do not share patterns from designers that sell fandom-themed patterns.
We reserve the right to refuse any pattern for not complying with the above guidelines.
To share your pattern with fandominstitches.com:
===> Fill Out This Submission Form <===
ALL PATTERNS MUST INCLUDE:
Pattern submissions are not accepted via social media. Thank you.
Helpful Software (both free & paid) and Tutorials:
- Quilt Assistant - Free Quilt Design Software (please read the user agreement carefully, this software is for free patterns only).
- Tutorials from Quilt Assistant
- Alida's How To using Quilt Assistant (written by our very own TweLoQ)
- Tutorial with video from Sew What Sherlock on converting traditional blocks to paper piecing with QA
- Jennifer's review of Quilt Assistant.
- Electric Quilt 7 - for-purchase quilt design software, used by a number of our designers.
- Inkscape - An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Excellent for designing embroidery designs.
- Inkscape Tutorials
- GIMP - GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. Great for editing.
- LibreOffice - Open Source office software includes Writer, the word processor, Calc, the spreadsheet application, Impress, the presentation engine, Draw, drawing and flowcharting application, Base, database and database frontend, and Math for editing mathematics.
- Thoughts and suggestions on designing with graphics software: Drawing A Patchy Heart from Sewhooked
- Photo of yourself (optional) - Flickr photos work best
- A brief description of your work.
- Link to your blog or website.
Please note: Fandom In Stitches is funded by Jennifer Ofenstein of Sewhooked and there is no compensation for posted patterns. All FiS Designers are volunteers. You keep all copyright for your patterns and only agree to allow Fandom In Stitches to share them. We reserve the right to refuse any pattern that is inappropriate and you may ask us to remove your patterns at any time.
Patterns are provided by designers free for non-profit and personal use only. Patterns are not to be sold anywhere at any time. Use for manufacture, etc., is strictly prohibited.