Welcome to the second week of our #XFILESQUILT Event!
I Want To Believe: An X-Files Quilt & Stitch Along is designed and presented by me, Jennifer Ofenstein (also find me on sewhooked.com).
There is a lot of useful information below this week's block, including the link to last week's pattern, so be sure to keep scrolling!
And now... BLOCK TWO!
6” X 27” Finished (6 1/2” X 27 1/2” unfinished)
made with background fabric and your second lightest color (see fabric info here)
While playing around with designs for this quilt, I knew I wanted some of the more iconic phrases from the series. I chose three, including Trust No One.
Jennifer's Tips for Week 2:
- There are a lot of pieces for this design, but it is quite simple to piece. Each unit can be chain pieced. Cut 4 strips of your lightest fabric (the letters) 1 1/4" x WOF and it should be plenty to get you through piecing. I cut two 6" strips x WOF of my background fabric to work with and had plenty left over.
- One thing to watch: make sure your light fabric is always a bit wider in the seam allowance than the dark fabric to keep the dark edges from shadowing through (see photo).
- To reduce bulk as you are joining the pattern units (A, B, C, etc.) together, remove the paper from the seam allowance as you go.
Pattern links so far:
About this EVENT:
- I Want To Believe: An X-Files Quilt & Stitch Along (#xfilesquilt), is a free event hosted on fandominstitches.com. It was conceived of and designed by Jennifer Ofenstein of sewhooked.com & fandominstitches.com.
- The event runs through March 30, 3016.
- This event includes 12 free patterns plus additional bonus blocks to use as you wish as well as piecing instructions for the quilt top.
- Patterns are a combination of hand embroidered and paper pieced. The pattern sizes for each block correspond with the layout shown.
- Feel free to use colors that work best for you.
- The final quilt size as designed is 50” x 64”.
- These patterns are free for your personal and NON-profit use only. Not to be used for manufacture or distribution. Sale of this pattern or quilts made from this pattern is prohibited. No infringement of any kind is intended.
- For best results with paper pieced patterns, print with NO SCALING. In Google Drive, uncheck “fit to page..” See your printer instructions for more details if needed. One-inch scale included on every page for your convenience.
- Fabric amounts are generous estimates and are provided as a courtesy. Actual amounts may vary depending on your paper piecing technique. (MORE DETAILS IN PRINTABLE DOCUMENT).
- Need paper piecing or embroidery help? Click here.
- Visit sewhooked.com for more paper piecing help.
- Community support can be found in The X-Files Quilt & Stitch Along Facebook Group.
- Win prizes monthly during 2016 on fandominstitches.com by sharing photos with the FiS flickr group.
- Posting on social media? Mark you photos #xfilesquilt!
Share photos of your blocks and other projects you have made using Fandom In Stitches patterns with our flickr group for a chance to win one of our fabulous monthly prizes! You receive one entry for each project. Only photos posted to flickr are eligible to win.