Placemat Tutorial, by Brad Felber
This is a placemat for two 5” quilt blocks.
1) First you need two completed 5 inch quilt blocks, they will be 5 ½ inches with the seam allowance.
2) You will need 8 good inches of 42 inch wide background fabric. 17 ½ X 11 ½ back fabric and batting
3) Cut two 4 X 42 inch strips
4) Cut three 5 ½ inch strips
- a. Sew two blocks together
- b. Sew two strips on edges
5) Cut two XXXX (21 inch) strips.
- a. Sew strips on top and bottom
6) Cut placemat, to 17 inches wide by 11 inches tall, make square
7) Cut back of placemat and batting to 17 1/2 inches by 11 1/2 inches,
8) Put right side of back and front together, put batting on wrong side of back.
9) Pin and sew with ½ inch seam allowance, leave 4 inches open on the bottom middle for turning.
10) Cut excess backing and batting
11) Turn and iron flat.
12) “Stitch in the ditch” in pictured order
13) Pin opening in bottom of placemat that was used for turning
14) Stitch ¼ inch around all the edges, also sewing the bottom shut.